With God, all things are possible!
How can my prayer be effective?
The dictionary defines prayer as a petition to God (or a god) in words or thought.
Below are given various ways for an effective prayer:
- Communicating with God. Not just talking/asking but also taking time to listen. If we are still, we will hear that inner voice. It is a gift from God that Christians can pray and communicate with Him.
- Prayer is ineffective when we sin. One shouldn’t kneel down to pray after one has displeased God by his unfaithful deeds. God will not hear. Psalms – “If i bear iniquity in my heart, God will not hear me”. Confess your sins before praying.
- Lack of faith can hinder us from receiving. We need to believe that He is and He will come through for us. Hebrew 11:6
- “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
- “When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures” (James 4:3). Set your heart right with God for it is there where all intentions are hidden. Remember God sees the heart and has the power to read our thoughts.
- Pray according to the Bible. The Bible consists of all the great promises of God and we can be sure that God will answer prayer according to His words.
- Pray with one another. For the Bible say that : “Again I say unto you, that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven (Matt. 18:19 )” Prayer in agreement with one another is a key for effective prayer and it is powerful according to the Bible.
- “Pray without ceasing” can be found in Thessalonians 5:17 in the Bible. Sometimes, we give up too early in our prayer, therefore we can never see any result in our prayer life. Keep this in mind, then you will be surprised by the effectiveness of your prayer in a new way.
- Pray with fasting. Jesus is the perfect example of fasting. He fasted for forty days in the wilderness to prepare Himself for the battle with Satan and Jesus won a great victory. Fasting is a way for us to overcome our flesh and be more sensitive to God’s voice. Fasting will help us to seek God’s will and pray according to His will in the problems that we are facing.
We all want to see our prayer being answered as soon as possible but in fact, prayer is a learning process. The more we pray , the more secrets of effective prayer we will discover. Why don’t you start your new prayer schedule today and experience the differences for yourself?